Re: Re: NAMD: Exiting Prematurely

From: Vincent Kraeutler (vincent_at_kraeutler.net)
Date: Wed Aug 15 2007 - 14:06:44 CDT

A SHAKE/RATTLE failure is a fairly generic indication that "something
went wrong" and does not indicate much, other than that the positions
between timesteps changed too much for the algorithm to remain stable.
In fact, I've seen it happen spontaneously (once). There are two classes
of possible causes for this:

a) You're straining the implicit assumptions of the program (e.g. too
large timestep, temperature or pressure coupling is going haywire, weird
cutoff/pairlist settings, a bug, or just bad luck).
b) You're using an interaction function which is too stiff for your
integrator (e.g. wrong setting for exclusions, too stiff forces for
restraint potential or angles, bad force-field parameters).

What I think you should do:
1. make sure that at the end of your equilibration phase temperature,
pressure, and box volume are no longer changing rapidly;
2. assert that extending the equilibration protocol is numerically
stable by letting it run for a longer period of time;
3. starting from the equilibration protocol, change one input parameter
at a time, and let it run for 1000 steps. Repeat until you have obtained
the production protocol.

If you've reached the end of step 3: BINGO. If not: you will have a
better indication of where the problem lies.

BTW, in the case where I had a "bad luck" SHAKE failure, changing the
temperature from 300 K to 300.1 K fixed the problem. ;-)

Cheers,
v.