Re: Re: heat diffusion calculation

From: Jonathan Lee (jonny5_at_rice.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 18 2007 - 16:13:00 CDT

All,
   Thanks everybody for your replies. I think I'm understanding it
better now. To follow up... I'm ultimately interested in calculating
the thermal conductivity in certain directions. For example, how well
heat will conduct in the z-direction versus in the x- or y-directions.
 From my current understanding, the method outlined in the tutorial
would not work for something like this. It seems that this method finds
an isotropic diffusivity (and ultimately thermal conductivity). Any
clues on how I could approach this problem (modifying the tutorial's
method or otherwise)?

   On a side note, does anybody know how to apply periodic boundary
conditions in only one or two directions? Realistically, what type of
boundary conditions could I apply to the other direction(s)? If I were
to, say, heat one end of a rectangular prism domain and observe the heat
transfer down the length of the prism, surely I can't have periodic
boundary conditions in that direction.

   (By the way, Victor, it seems like we are in fact looking at
different versions of the tutorial. The temperature echoes appears at
the bottom of page 56 in my version.)

Thanks,

Jonathan