NAMD 2.6 installation problem

From: Stern, Julie (jvstern_at_bnl.gov)
Date: Wed Apr 04 2007 - 15:06:50 CDT

Hello,
    I'm trying to install NAMD 2.6. I get the error:
error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

    I'm on a linux cluster of pentium 4's. Does anyone know how to solve this problem?
Can I simply make a symbolic link from libstdc++.so.6 to libstdc++.so.5 or is that
incompatible? Do I have to install older versions of gcc just to get libstdc++.so.5? The
installation of gcc does not seem trivial. Is there something I need to do to have NAMD
accommodate which version of gcc I do have? Can I simply port libstdc++.so.5 over
from another machine which is also a linux box, is it dependent on anything?

Thanks for help and advice.

--Julie