Re: Pressure Discrepancy

From: Sterling Paramore (paramore_at_hec.utah.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 03 2007 - 20:44:36 CDT

Well, it's hard to tell from the graph, but it looks like your
decorrelation time is less than 100ps. If it is 100ps, then it means
you have ~ 100 independent pressure measurements (since your total
simulation time was 10ns). You stated in an earlier e-mail that the
mean pressure was 80 with a standard deviation of 360. With 100
measurements, the standard deviation of the mean is 36, meaning that
the pressure is 80+/- 70 at the 95% confidence interval. If the
confidence interval had been greater than 80, then I would have said
you didn't have to worry because the average pressure would be
indistinguishable from 0 (or 1) to within your measurement. However,
it looks like you are actually measuring a pressure that is not equal
to 1 (especially since the estimated CI is an upper bound). So I'm
not sure what's going on here.....

Actually, in the previous e-mail it looks like your x and y pressures
were significantly different than the z. Was this an NPAT simulation
where only the z-direction was couple to the barostat? If so, the z
pressure is NOT statistically distinguishable from 1, in which case
everything looks OK.

-Sterling