Re: SMD and CPT? (fwd)

From: Sterling Paramore (paramore_at_hec.utah.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 09 2007 - 17:08:12 CST

In my notes, H refers to the energy of the system of interest (i.e., not
the cantilever). The work is then the work that the force does on the
system of interest. You could also calculate the work done on the total
system (system of interest + cantilever), by just adding in the
potential of the cantilever to the hamiltonian. In this case, I get
\dot{H} = F_SMD * \dot{R}, where R is the equilibrium position of the
SMD potential (if modelled harmonically). This is the work done on the
total system by moving the cantilever equilibrium position. It really
depends on what you want.

-Sterling