Re: a philosophical question...

From: Richard Wood (rwoodphd_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jan 30 2007 - 13:35:25 CST

Hi all, Ok, here it is. I know that we are all using NAMD to solve various problems of one kind or another. For example, I am using NAMD to study the dynamics of various protein-carbohydrate complexes, using techniques such as MD, SMD and FEP. That being said, I am doing this work as part of a larger project, the goal of which is to allow me one day to use my skills in the pharmaceutical industry as a computational chemist. In the meantime, I've been wondering if all of the training that I've had up until this point has been worth it. I've done two post-docs after obtaining my Ph.D., and worked for seven months at a small biotech start-up, doing mostly grant proposal writing. Since being let go, I've been looking for a suitable position. I've turned down a third post-doc in that time, because it was offered to me at a time when I felt that I was going to get hired by a pharma company. I've been lucky, for the person that offered me the post-doc is the person that I am now working on the above-mentioned project. Granted, he's not compensating me, but we have written a grant proposal together, and if and when it gets funded, he will compensate me. All of this has me questioning whether or not I want to continue to try to become a computational chemist. On the surface I do, as I have invested all this time in training, yet I ask myself constantly if it's worth all the grief. My question to all you using NAMD is this: what do you plan to do with the training you are getting once it is done (provided that you are not yet in a "permanent" position), and do you consider your time and effort spent worth the time? Is being a computational chemist worth it? Richard Richard L. Wood, Ph. D. Computational Chemist Cockeysville, MD 21030 rwoodphd_at_yahoo.com ----- Original Message ---- From: L. Michel Espinoza-Fonseca <mef_at_ddt.biochem.umn.edu> To: Richard Wood <rwoodphd_at_yahoo.com> Cc: namd-l_at_ks.uiuc.edu Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2007 1:54:06 PM Subject: Re: namd-l: a philosophical question... I don't see why this is not possible. At least for me (and perhaps for some of the people subscribed to the list) that would be a good opportunity to refresh the brain a little bit :-) Michel 2007/1/30, Richard Wood <rwoodphd_at_yahoo.com>: > > Hi all, > > I am wondering if one would be allowed to post a philosophical question to > the users of the NAMD list at this time. I have something that I have been > thinking about and I would like to see how others think about this issue. > > Best regards, > Richard > > Richard L. Wood, Ph. D. > Computational Chemist > Cockeysville, MD 21030 > rwoodphd_at_yahoo.com > > > ________________________________ > Everyone is raving about the all-new Yahoo! Mail beta. ____________________________________________________________________________________ Get your own web address. Have a HUGE year through Yahoo! Small Business. http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/domains/?p=BESTDEAL