Re: Charmm 1,4 Interactions - Scaling Question

From: Jan Saam (saam_at_charite.de)
Date: Thu Jun 16 2005 - 18:20:22 CDT

Dear Paul,

A scaling factor of 1.0 means that the 1,4 interactions are fully
included. I've once spoken to Alek Mackerell about this issue and he
emphasized the importance of this scaling factor in order to obtain
correct results.

Neveretheless the CHARMM force field specifies modified VDW interactions
for some atom types. You can find these in the parameter file. Here is
an example from the NONBONDED section:

!
!V(L-J) = Eps(i,j)*[(Rmin(i,j)/r(i,j))**12 - 2(Rmin(i,j)/r(i,j))**6]
!
!epsilon [kcal/mole]: Eps(i,j) = sqrt(eps(i) * eps(j))
!Rmin/2 [A]: Rmin(i,j) = (Rmin(i) + Rmin(j)) / 2
!
!atom ignored epsilon Rmin/2 ignored eps,1-4 Rmin/2,1-4
!

C 0.000000 -0.110000 2.000000 ! ALLOW PEP POL ARO

CT1 0.000000 -0.020000 2.275000 0.000000 -0.010000 1.900000

For atom type C only the parameters epsilon and Rmin/2 are specified
thus no scaling is applied for 1-4 interaction (they are fully
included). For atom CT1 though, the additional parameters eps,1-4 and
Rmin/2,1-4 are given. These values are used for 1-4 interactions.

The problem with 1-4 interactions is that their nonbonded contribution
is already partially included in the corresponding dihedral parameter.
Scaling down the 1-4 VDW interaction can help avoiding double accounting
is a means of fine tuning the force field. You actually only have to
worry about it if you are adding new parameters to the force field.

Hoping this helps,

        Jan

--
Jan Saam