Re: how is NAMD output written in parallel mode?

From: Nicolas Sapay (n.sapay_at_ibcp.fr)
Date: Mon Dec 05 2005 - 08:17:58 CST

Dear Ravinder,

In my case, I write outputs on the "master" node, i.e. the first node of
the nodelist (I'm not sure it can be called "master" in fact).
Assuming that the job runs on 3 nodes: node1.myserver.edu,
node2.myserver.edu, node3.myserver.edu. The process is launched : a
unique directory is created in the </tmp> of the master node (e.g
node2.myserver.edu). Outputs will be written is this directory. However,
you will be able to see NAMD processes on each node (= 1 charmrun + 1
namd2 processes by processor). This processes consumes CPU and memory
(depend on the load balancing) but no space in the /tmp (nodes 2
excepted of course). So, you can use the /tmp of non-master nodes if it
is necessary since nothing is written on theses nodes.

Cheers

Nicolas Sapay

PS : I'm using a PBS server to run my jobs, I'm not sure this answer is
available in a different case...

--
  Ph.D sudent in structural bioinformatics