RE: Solvent model other than TIP3 for use with CHARMM FF in NAMD??

From: Brian Bennion (brian_at_youkai.llnl.gov)
Date: Tue Jun 21 2005 - 17:40:15 CDT

So my question remains. How was the tip4p and tip5p parameterized? Which
protein force field was used? Charm22, Charm27 charmXX? The tip5p is a
radically different beast than tip3p. I would say there is more
difference between tip5p and tip3p than between tip3p and f3, but that
could be argued.
So if the water model changed so dramatically what is happening to the
protein side of the force field? All I am doing is testing the protein
side of the charmm FF against a different water model, in the same way as
people have done for tip5p. And so far the protein dynamics are not
different from what I have seen before using ENCAD and F3C. One caveat, I
don't have access to encad anymore for realtime head to head
comparisons...

Regards
Brian
On Tue, 21 Jun 2005, Blake Charlebois wrote:

> Here is a quote from Alexander D. MacKerell (the PI in charge of the CHARMM
> force field, if I am not mistaken) from page 22 of A.D. MacKerell Jr.,
> "Atomistic Models and Force Fields," in Computational biochemistry and
> biophysics, O.M. Becker Ed. 2001, pp. 7-38.
>
> "The SPC/E water model is known to yield better pure solvent properties than
> the TIP3P model; however, this has been achieved by overestimating the
> water-dimer interaction energy (i.e., the solvent-solvent interactions are
> too favorable). Although this overestimation is justifiable considering the
> omission of explicit electronic polarizability from the force field, it will
> cause problems when trying to produce a balanced force field due to the need
> to overestimate the solute-solvent and solute-solute interaction energies in
> a compensatory fashion. Owing to this limitation, the TIP3P model is
> suggested to be a better choice for the development of a balanced force
> field. It is expected that water models that include electronic polarization
> will allow for better pure solvent properties while having the proper
> solvent-solvent interactions to allow for the development of balanced force
> fields. It is important when applying a force field to use the water model
> for which that particular force field was developed and tested. Furthermore,
> extensions of the selected force field must maintain compatibility with the
> originally selected water model."
>
> I interpret this to mean that changing the water model is dangerous unless
> you really know what you are doing.

  Brian Bennion, Ph.D.
  Bioscience Directorate
  Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
  P.O. Box 808, L-448 bennion1_at_llnl.gov
  7000 East Avenue phone: (925) 422-5722
  Livermore, CA 94550 fax: (925) 424-6605