Re: Simulation terminating due to RATTLE constraint failure

From: nordgren_at_sas.upenn.edu
Date: Mon Jun 13 2005 - 01:51:35 CDT

Dear Shirley:

The trouble is, you're trying to go directly from an energy-minimized system
(i.e., one at absolute zero temperature) to a room-temperature system.
Generally MD codes aren't meant to be used that way... the sudden influx of
kinetic energy will make things unstable. Have a look at the tutorials
(and/or search this list) for some hints on how to *heat* your system a bit
more gradually. (For example, I usually run something like 20 to 50 ps of
heating dynamics, in order to smoothly go from 0 to 300K.)

Hope this helps.

- Erik

C. Erik Nordgren, Ph.D.
Chemistry Department