Re: vmd-l: Interactive Simulations, ligand size limits....

From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 20 2005 - 16:12:20 CDT

Luis,
  How large is the molecule you're simulating? When you say that
the simulation "crashed", does that mean that NAMD aborted because
you pulled too hard (margin violation, exceeding the speed of light,
etc...), or did NAMD actually have a seg fault or floating point exception
of some kind? If you got a "margin violation" it means that you pulled
on the structure so hard that you exceeded NAMD's internal limit on
atom velocity imposed by the spatial decomposition it uses. If you
pull to hard and impart a tremendous velocity per simulated timestep,
this means that either you need to pull more gently, or you need to
decrease the gap in timescale between your real-time pulling and
the rate of simulated time in the simulation, either by using a smaller
molecule or by using fixed atoms, or some combination of both.