Re: How do we know the velocity?

From: Leandro Martinez (lmartinez_at_iqm.unicamp.br)
Date: Thu Jun 03 2004 - 11:47:05 CDT

  I guess you are talking about steered molecular dynamics. I think
you should actually check how long you want your simulation to
be and test a few velocities in such a way that the event you
are expecting occurs in that simulation time. Lower velocities provide
a better sampling of the phase space and hence your simulation
is more representative of the dynamics of the real system. However,
of course, you are trying to induce something to happen, and so you
should do it in such a way that it occurs in a reasonable simulation
time. At least for ligand dissociation, for example, you should
choose the velocity in that way. Of course, you can get good
guesses from Schulten's papers.
  Leandro.