Re: Charm++ nodelist commands

From: Gengbin Zheng (gzheng_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sun Jan 04 2004 - 23:18:42 CST

Hi,

 Please find the charm++ and NAMD source files I used to compile the
Windows binary at:
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/~gzheng/charm.tgz
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/~gzheng/namd2.tgz (same as in the cvs version today)

 Use this same source for Linux, and please don't download from the
Charm++ cvs server. Build charm++ for Linux with this command line:
 ./build charm++ net-linux -O -DCMK_OPTIMIZE

 Keep in mind that the code in cvs server is changing every day recently
for a major Charm++ release soon coming in about a month. I can not
guarantee the cross platform compatibility to my previous namd2/win32
binary for arbitary cvs snapshot. So I figure it is better to give you the
snapshot I used for my testing.

 The tcl and plugins are optional. You don't have to compile with them
if you don't need them. Fftw, however, is often found essential.

Gengbin

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004, Gengbin Zheng wrote:

> On Sun, 4 Jan 2004, Gadi Oron wrote:

> level)

> > > You can now. This has been implemented in Charm++ CVS server.
> > > It is only for non windows versions.
> >
> > Thank you very much, this option is very helpful!
> >
> > I believe though that with Cygwin the your implementation should be
> > functional. (The nice command exists).
> >

> ok, Windows version of setting process priority (using SetPriorityClass
> Win32 call) is also implemented. It should work for both Cygwin(gcc) and
> pure windows(visual c++) binary.
>
> Since windows does not support numeric nice level - it only
> has these 6 levels (from high to low), I had to do a mapping from +nice
> parameter value to the win priority levels:
>
> REALTIME_PRIORITY_CLASS <= -20
> HIGH_PRIORITY_CLASS -20 - -10
> ABOVE_NORMAL_PRIORITY_CLASS -10 - 0
> NORMAL_PRIORITY_CLASS 0
> BELOW_NORMAL_PRIORITY_CLASS 0 - 10
> IDLE_PRIORITY_CLASS > 10
>
> Note that not every Windows supports ABOVE_NORMAL_PRIORITY_CLASS and
> BELOW_NORMAL_PRIORITY_CLASS for example win95/ME. So when not supported,
> the value will be overtaken by corresponding IDLE_PRIORITY_CLASS or
> HIGH_PRIORITY_CLASS.
> Again, you may need administrator privilege to set high priorities.
>
> Same as explained in previous email, to set priority nice level, you can:
> 1. ./charmrun +p4 ./pgm +nice -5
> to set nice level to -5 (higher priority) for all 4 node processes.
> This works for *all* charm/NAMD version now.
> 2. put ++nice in a nodelist file:
> group main
> host host-1 ++nice 2
> host host-2 ++nice -2
> This only works for net-* version when nodelist is read.
>
> My test shows that setting very high priority under windows do have
> noticeable good impact in the execution time.
>
> The latest NAMD win32/VC++ binary for testing is now at:
>
> http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/~gzheng/NAMD_Win32-i686.zip
>
> It is compiled with Charm++/net-win32 with -O -DCMK_OPTIMIZE
> and NAMD/Win32-i686-MSVC with tcl and plugins libraries.
>
> The VC++ I was using to compile the binary donot have
> BELOW_NORMAL_PRIORITY_CLASS and ABOVE_NORMAL_PRIORITY_CLASS defined, so
> these two priorities are not supported in this binary.
>
> (for cross linux/windows clusters usage, please note that you need exact
> same charm++ source code from cvs, also with exact *Charm++ defined
> macros* - that is with or without -DCMK_OPTIMIZE, binaries with
> CMK_OPTIMIZE is not compatible with the one compiled without the flag
> when running cross the platforms.)
>
> Gengbin

Gengbin Zheng
(217)244-3667 (o)