Re: how can I know which type HIS belong to?(HSD,HSE,HSP)

From: Jérôme Hénin (jerome.henin_at_uhp-nancy.fr)
Date: Sat Nov 29 2003 - 04:37:30 CST

Hi,

I just want to add something to the answer Fangqiang Zhu gave you. If you want
a criterion on which histidines are protonated, you might try this : set up a
structure of your protein with only unprotonated histidines and compute the
electrostatic potential (Swiss PDB Viewer does that well with
Poisson-Boltzmann). Then, you can assume that the His residues in the most
negative electrostatic environment are most likely to be protonated. The best
solution would be to have an experimental value for the total charge of the
protein, in which case you just have to decide on which histidines you place
the missing positive charges. This electrostatic criterion is far from
perfect, so it would be a good idea to also consider the qualitative criteria
Zhu talked about in his post. For example, since the pKa of the solvated
amino-acid is 6, an "external" histidine exposed to water will be protonated
only if neighbouring residues have some sort of stabilizing effect.

Regards,
Jerome Henin