Re: PMEGridSize

From: Jim Phillips (jim_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 13 2003 - 13:34:44 CDT

Hi,

PMEGridSize[XYZ] should be the nearest integer roundup of cellBasisVector
for which a fast fourier transform (FFT) can be efficiently performed.
This typically means that the grid size will have only factors of 2,3,5.

The FFT algorithm converts an order N^2 fourier transform to order N log N
by exploiting a factorization of the transform, originally based on powers
of 2, but later extended to other factors. The speed of the transform
will be limited by the largest prime factor in the input dimension.
Therefore, grid sizes of the form 2^a * 3^b * 5^c are most efficient, for
example, 30, 32, 36, 40, 45, 48, 50, 54, 60, 64, 72, 75, 80, 81, and 90
are all good grid sizes.

-Jim