Re: Dance Resources

From: Bruce Leasure (bruce@KAI.COM)
Date: Thu Nov 04 1999 - 10:43:28 CST

I am responding to this question to the mailing list
because most of the students on the list will end up
moving to another city upon graduation.

One resource that works anywhere in the US is to look
up the local USABDA chapter (that is, United States Amateur
Ballroom Dance Association). This is easy to do if you have
WEB access: http://www.usabda.org. The site has pointers to
both ordinary chapters and college/university clubs.

If your are interested in contemporary dances (swing, salsa,
hustle, country two-step, etc.), you might be better off finding
dancers at a night-club. If you see someone dance and you like
how they look, go ask them for recommendations into the local
dance scene.

>From personal experience, what someone else likes about a
dance club/studio/instructor may not be what is right for
you.

One warning. The price of instruction varies. The quality
of instruction varies. Ask lots of questions. Try out any
instructor before signing up for any kind of "deal". If the
social aspect is important to you, go to a few social dances
and see how friendly the other people are. Keep looking until
you find something that is right for you.

-- bruce leasure