Move over Macarena--here comes The Milly

From: charles joseph smith (cjsmith2@STUDENTS.UIUC.EDU)
Date: Sat Jul 31 1999 - 09:39:15 CDT

4 years ago, I saw Dancing Illini members do the Macarena at a Graduation
Dance social event at the 2nd floor ballroom of the Illini Union. I know
it by heart right now...

But now, as a Chicagoan myself, I found out that a new line dance called
the Milly is getting its start in Chicago. The name of this line dance is
a colloquial term for the word 'millennium'. The dance debuted in mid-July
by its inventor, Harrison McEldowney. It is intended to be danced as soon
as the ringing out of 1999 is complete, and Harrison is intending to
spread the word out of Chicago to everyone in the world to do the Milly.

I had learned the Milly through a Chicago TV news program and it took only
2 hours to do it. It has a few moves resembling the Macarena and the bus
stop, and other moves specific for Chicago, such as the Sammy Sosa
swing, the Jordan slam dunk attack, and the John Hancock. It is a 4-wall
line dance with only 32 counts.

If you want to know how, you can reach this website: http://www.
chicago2001.org. I hope it is the right address.