Re: la rueda

Mark Balzer (m-balzer@STUDENTS.UIUC.EDU)
Thu, 18 Jul 1996 18:01:20 -0500

Jennifer Jones writes:
> In Miami... there are a number of groups who dance the "rueda"...
> salsa performed in a large coordinated group.
>
> All the women continuously switch partners around the wheel... When
> it's done right, it's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. I sure
> would like to get a rueda going here in Cham-bana. Are you all doing
> that already? Maybe it could be taught???

Back when Enio and I were deciding on the program for our last Swing and
Salsa workshop, one of his suggestions was:

Mambo Round also know as Rueda. They loved it in Ithaca.
Teaches how to dance with two girls, partner stealing.

This is a dance that Enio is very enthusiastic about. So my brainstorm
addition is:

We should have Enio and Terryl teach Rueda the next time they are here,
using it to surrepticiously teach spin technique and leading/following
concepts.

There is a similar dance (the women continuously switch partners around the
wheel) based on West Coast Swing which is done with two or more couples.
When done with two couples, it is called "Four-play" and when done with
three or more, it is termed "Mass Confusion." I'd be happy to teach that -
it would take a little over an hour to teach; much less if the participants
already knew basic WCS.

These are both fun ideas for mixers that utilize dances and steps that we
already know, while incorporating leading and following. The skills you
need for these mixers are the same ones you use in regular partner dancing,
so you actually learn, practice and improve your partner dancing while
having a blast.

Mark