New Tango Courses Starting Soon at Phillips Center

From: Ron & Susana Weigel (TangoSociety@AOL.COM)
Date: Wed Jan 12 2005 - 19:54:48 CST

    We are pleased to announce our next session of tango courses starting at the
    end of January at the Phillips Recreation Center (505 W Stoughton, Urbana). We
    are offering 2 courses:

    For those with [ no / very limited / distant past ] prior tango experience:

    (1) Foundations of Tango ($24 for 4 weeks, 6 hrs of instruction)
         Wednesdays Jan 26 - Feb 16 8:30 - 10 PM
    - Our starter course, which emphasizes partner connection, musicality, and
    basic navigation skills.

    For those who had at least one course with us in our Fall 2004 program:

    (2) Intermediate Tango (Topic: Intermediate Musicality; Improvisation in Time)
         Mondays Jan 24 - Feb 14 8:30 - 10 PM
    - This course will explore improvisation in playing with numerous ways of
    dividing up the rhythmic structure of tango, milonga, and vals.

    - For those in between:

    We are continuing our program of teaching the authentic rhythmic close
    embrace 'milonguero style' tango that is danced in the social dance clubs of Buenos
    Aires.

    If you are comfortable dancing the open embrace 'salon style' tango, we
    recommend you take our transition workshop:

    (3) Introduction to Tango & its Musicality ($7)
         Wed Jan 19 8:30 - 10 PM
    - This workshop introduces you to the most basic concepts of close embrace
    connection, musicality, and navigation characteristic of the milonguero style
    tango.

    - If you find this workshop easy, then you will fit right into the
    progression of the Intermediate Tango course. Your prior tango experience will
    facilitate learning the new material in that course.

    - If you find that would like a slower pace, take the Foundations of Tango
    course.

    Our new curriculum was well received by those who took the classes in the
    Fall. The milonguero style is both easier to learn in the beginning and more
    rewarding in the challenges it provides to advanced dancers (due to the endless
    opportunities for improvisation). It also provides a more satisfying partner
    connection and thus a better tango experience. Many tango students in numerous
    communities across the US are discovering and staying with this authentic social
    style of tango as danced in Argentina, happy victims of this epidemic that is
    spreading rapidly across the US.

    We look forward to seeing you in our classes. They are a lot of fun.

    Ron Weigel & Susana Vazquez Weigel
    Instructors / Organizers
    Tango Society of Central Illinois
    Home: Phillips Recreation Center, 505 W Stoughton, Urbana, IL 61801
    Mail: PO Box 1054, Urbana, IL 61803-1054

    Tango Society Website with Community Calendar:
    http://www.centraltango.com/

    Join CentralTango, the Tango Society News Group with Local + Midwest Regional
    coverage:
    Send a blank message to:
    CentralTango-subscribe@yahoogroups.com