SOC: C-U Salsa Hangout Goes Out of Business!

From: charles joseph smith (cjsmith2@students.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sun Aug 20 2000 - 12:25:28 CDT

C-U has one less salsa dance hangout for students and teachers for now...

Very sadly, I was informed by my friend and salsa dancer Sarah Stalzer
that Mabel's, due to the high cost of rent in Campustown after it failed
to convert itself into a topless establishment after plenty of student
and teacher protests against topless bar sprawls anywhere on campus,
had declared Chapter 13 bankruptcy and had to shut its doors for good.

The closure happened in the middle of the week.

If you want to send some condolences or remembrances about Mabel's being
a good salsa hangout, send some email to my address. I have a lot of
remebrances about salsa at Mabel's...What about you?

The biggest remembrance (mine) about Mabel's was Adelante's going-away
concert on May 15, 1999. Already broken-up, you know them as the salsa/
merengue local band with singer Frances Colon at the helm. Frances Colon
recently graduated this year. I had a great time dancing at that event.

I am so shy that I cannot call Emi and Paul, co-owners of Mabel's, fearing
that they will refuse to comment about the closure. My only hope is that
very soon Mabel's will re-open under new management and salsa will make
its resurrection there.

"I call myself "The Little Lily of Salsa" because I feel like a happy
lily flower being blown in a gentle breeze when I dance salsa."
                                           --Myself

Charles Joseph Smith
cjsmith2@students.uiuc.edu
(217)332-2425