SOC: Michele and I finally dance salsa in Paris!

From: charles joseph smith (cjsmith2@students.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 18 2000 - 18:21:01 CDT

This is the second of my messages involving Michele and I dancing Salsa in
Paris. And we made history! For the first time--on July 18, 2000, we
danced in a Parisian salsa club!

Michele Stoher, born in France and stayed in Champaign for several years
before she went back to France, is my soulmate who longed to see me after
she missed me for several years after we met at the U. of I.

And it was so wonderful! The salsa club we went to was La Coupole, at
102 Boulevard Montparnasse. Their dress code was no jeans or basketball
shoes. The price of 140 francs (or about 28 US dollars) included in our
salsa night at the Coupole gave us

--a free drink at the cash bar (drinks range from orange juice all the
  way to margaritas
--a salsa lesson by Susan Sparks who taught basic salsa mainly in French
  with a little English
--a DJ, plus a live salsa band later on

Sadly, additional drinks cost from 49 to 80 francs, or 7 to 16 US dollars.
Very expensive indeed!

We danced salsa, merengue, and threw in a little pachanga as well.

We planned to stay over until 3am, but she had to go early--12:15 a.m. We
danced for over 3 hours, and this will be my most exciting part of not
just my dancing life, but my whole life!

But my Paris days are coming to an end. I leave Paris for Chicago on July
21 and have to say farewell to Michele until another time, but this will
be the biggest dance memory of all. I really love it!

Charles Joseph Smith
"The Little Lily of Salsa"
cjsmith2@students.uiuc.edu
(217)332-2425