Re: GPU requirements for CUDA enabled NAMD

From: Yoshio Alarcon Lopez (yoshalar_at_gmail.com)
Date: Sat Oct 15 2022 - 11:49:50 CDT

Hello Kartik.
It depends on the compute capability of your card, I remember it has to be
2.0 or more and your card has a CUDA Capability of 1.2, and the nvidia
driver that supports at least CUDA 8.0.
I have read something about that kind of issue and I was trying to use a
GTX-590, an old card.
Kindly run
$ nvidia-smi
To figure out which compute capability you have.
In addition, from the page of release of NAMD you can find the followint:

To benefit from GPU acceleration you will need a CUDA build of NAMD and a
recent NVIDIA video card. CUDA builds will not function without a
CUDA-capable GPU and a driver that supports CUDA 8.0. If the installed
driver is too old NAMD will exit on startup with the error ``CUDA driver
version is insufficient for CUDA runtime version.''

https://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/namd/2.13/ug/node106.html

But If you find any mode to run NAMD-CUDA with an old card, let me know.

You can try to obtain a Nvidia Quadro, for small computers that works fine.

Best regards.

--
*M. en C. Q. Aldo Yoshio Alarcon López*
*Laboratorio de Química Medicinal*