Re: GPU requirements for CUDA enabled NAMD

From: Vermaas, Josh (vermaasj_at_msu.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 17 2022 - 09:48:08 CDT

Hi Kartik,

Depends on your preferred NAMD installation and NAMD version. This is from the 2.14 release notes: “CUDA builds will not function
without a CUDA-capable GPU and a driver that supports CUDA 9.1. If the
installed driver is too old NAMD will exit on startup with the error
"CUDA driver version is insufficient for CUDA runtime version".”

The same text for 2.13 claims a minimum CUDA version of 6.0, which I think would be the fastest way for you to play with GPU acceleration. In general, I would not expect tremendous speedup using 2.13 and a GT210. The GPU hardware is just really old.

-Josh