Re: SMD at constant velocity

From: Giacomo Fiorin (giacomo.fiorin_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Dec 27 2021 - 10:14:57 CST

Hi Yasser, it sounds like the variables' values do not evolve as you expect
them to, but the restraint centers do work as expected. This is not
uncommon.

Your initial and final centers differ by only 0.5 Ã…, and assuming you used
the default width of 1, for a force constant of 5 kcal/mol you
get 1/2×5×0.5^2 = 0.625 kcal/mol, roughly one kT unit. Not much difference
between those states as far as the restraint is concerned.

Accumulated work, like all energies, is in the same unit of the MD engine
that Colvars is distributed with, in this case NAMD:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://colvars.github.io/colvars-refman-namd/colvars-refman-namd.html*sec:units__;Iw!!DZ3fjg!su6lmSqnhgVAVHfWHdtrvUBMPEivqbKcs7f2O7GJ8a_bQFffTnDHcgsqte-_nmnWtQ$
and NAMD uses kcal/mol.

Giacomo