Re: Question about CHARMM-GUI NAMD Inputs

From: Vermaas, Josh (vermaasj_at_msu.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 27 2021 - 09:39:13 CST

Hi Ahmad,

Personally, my experience is that CHARMM-GUI is a bit conservative, especially when it comes to membranes. That being said, if you are interested in minimizing protein RMSD during the equilibration phase, you may indeed find more success extending some parts of the protocol. I’m not familiar with the exact file structure for the CHARMM-GUI outputs for NAMD (I go as far as step 5 and then do my own thing to equilibrate the systems), but you should be able to figure out what its doing based on what NAMD options are being set in the .namd file. Is it NPT? NVT? Are constraints active or extrabonds applied anywhere? A consultation with the NAMD user guide will set you straight with a bit of reading.

-Josh