Re: Membrane Protein Flipping in ABF

From: Giacomo Fiorin (giacomo.fiorin_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jul 07 2021 - 09:31:19 CDT

Hello Ishaan, the list should be copied in.

I agree that a full protein flip is very unlikely to occur under normal
equilibrium sampling. However, you are using an enhanced sampling method
precisely with the purpose of *making such rare events occur more
frequently*. When ABF or similar methods are used properly (i.e. along
collective variables that can quickly exchange the supplied external energy
with the rest of the system), you can observe the structural details of the
mechanism and compute the free-energy cost associated with such rare events.

The methodology and technical details are explained in the literature and
in the code documentation, respectively. For example, you could start from
the latter, which contains references to the former:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://colvars.github.io/colvars-refman-namd/colvars-refman-namd.html*sec:colvarbias_abf__;Iw!!DZ3fjg!uVUdY8aJ-Q4GC2_4-KKTetJC6_m4HYM1-fxUqer2HmI2Z7uiWTx2xlwlFOanL0H6lg$

After reading those, please narrow your questions down to specific details,
preferably technical ones that traditionally find little space in the
scientific literature (and for which a question to the mailing list is most
suitable).

Giacomo