Re: 3.0alpha9 CUDA version

From: Vermaas, Josh (vermaasj_at_msu.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 12 2021 - 07:54:43 CST

Hi Michael,

Developers are certainly one audience, but really the reason behind the gitlab wall is due to needing to be able to track users for reporting usage statistics back to funding agencies, and to make sure folks have agreed to the NAMD license. That is why the user registration form is one of the prerequisites, so that the developers can report back to NIH the percentage of users that have NIH funding. Being able to download the source so you can compile it on your own hardware is totally a legit reason to get access through gitlab IMHO. I believe this opinion is shared by the folks that actually have decision making power.

-Josh