RE: Can Namd 2.14 and genpsf 2.0 process halogen bonds?

From: Pang, Yui Tik (andrewpang_at_gatech.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 27 2020 - 13:00:14 CDT

Hi Nan,

It is not clear what is the cause of issue from the email, but I can share my ways of getting the psf file with the halogen virtual particle.

Method 1) Use ffTK

In my opinion the easiest way is to use the VMD plugin Force field toolkit (ffTK). Even if you do not plan to optimize the parameters, you can still use ffTK to process the CGenFF output and get the psf file. First, make sure you have the latest VMD 1.9.4 LATEST ALPHA version, then you can open ffTK by Extension -> Modeling -> Force Field Toolkit. Under the first tab “BuildPar”, expand the view under “Prepare Parameterization from CGenFF Program Output”, then put in the files required and click “Analyze Input” -> “Write PSF/PDB”

Method 2) Use psfgen 2.0

I am not sure why psfgen did not generate the NUMLP lines for you. I think the first thing to check is whether the psfgen you are using is truly the 2.0 version. You can specifically required psfgen version 2.0 in VMD by “package require psfgen 2.0”. Again if you find out your psfgen version is not right, you should download the latest VMD 1.9.4 LATEST ALPHA version. Another suggestion I have is make sure you are using the latest CGenFF force field topology file. The script I used to generate the psf file is attached here:

package require psfgen 2.0
topology CGenFFOutput.str
topology toppar_c36_jul19/top_all36_cgenff.rtf
#vpbonds 1
segment A {
    pdb molecule.pdb
}
coordpdb molecule.pdb
regenerate angles dihedrals
guesscoord
writepsf XXX.psf
writepdb XXX.pdb

If the above two methods do not work, the last resort is to write those NUMLP line manually. Please write back if you need help on that.

Best,
Andrew