Re:

From: Peter Freddolino (petefred_at_umich.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 26 2020 - 19:16:57 CDT

Hi Kacey,
I'm afraid that I don't really understand the question. Your question
states that "The values calculated are exactly the same as if I were to
calculate them manually." Isn't this what one would expect? Keeping in mind
that the nonbonded potentials in NAMD are all pairwise, all that is being
done under the hood is that NAMD is accumulating both the forces and
energies for those pairwise interactions involving atoms from group A with
atoms from group B. This is ultimately implemented in
ComputeNonbondedBase.h, where there is a loop that specifically acts on
atom pairs where one atom is in one of the interaction groups and the other
is in the other interaction group (unless pairInteractionSelf is set, in
which case it checks for both atoms being part of the interaction group).
That handles everything except for long range electrostatics, where there
are three separate PME grids calculated to allow the equivalent of the
three-group subtraction that Jeff mentioned (ComputePme.C).
Best,
Peter