Re: Slow performance over multi-core processor and CUDA build

From: Josh Vermaas (joshua.vermaas_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jul 28 2020 - 14:28:59 CDT

Hi Roshan,

+idlepoll isn't required for CUDA builds since 2.11 or 2.12. My usual
command line for a single node build with GPUs looks something like this:

/path/to/namd/binary/namd2 +p8 input.namd | tee output.log

The processor count matters, since in the namd 2.X branch, the integrator
is on the CPU. If you decide to use the NAMD 3.0 alpha, which moves the
integrator to the GPU, the equivalent line would be:

/path/to/namd/binary/namd3 +p1 input.namd | tee output.log

And you'd want to add the CUDASOAIntegrate flag in your .namd file. The
NVIDIA developers blog has a recent post that details the changes you'd
need to make.
https://developer.nvidia.com/blog/delivering-up-to-9x-throughput-with-namd-v3-and-a100-gpu/

-Josh