Re: Setting up / Running NAMD on HPC

From: Renfro, Michael (Renfro_at_tntech.edu)
Date: Mon May 25 2020 - 09:23:50 CDT

Not a NAMD expert, but I've had it installed in our HPC since 2017. Here’s what I’d suggest, and someone else may come along to correct me:

- for runs on a single node, we use the the multicore build, which is probably what you were using on your single nodes previously.
- for runs on multiple nodes with Infiniband, we use the ibverbs-smp build.

The multicore builds are pretty straightforward to run, the ibverbs-smp ones much less so. I ended up writing some bash functions to make things easier for the end users [1]. Those helper functions end up calling namd as follows:

- Multicore build for single node runs: namd2 +p${SLURM_NTASKS} inputfile
- Ibverbs-smp build for multi-node runs: charmrun `which namd2` ++p ${SLURM_NTASKS} ++ppn ${SLURM_CPUS_ON_NODE} ++nodelist nodelist inputfile

where nodelist was generated from the contents of ${SLURM_NODELIST}. I got pretty good scaling on a 3M atom system up to nearly 40 nodes.

[1] https://its.tntech.edu/display/MON/HPC+Sample+Job%3A+NAMD#HPCSampleJob:NAMD-Appendix:contentsofnamd_functions

--
Mike Renfro, PhD / HPC Systems Administrator, Information Technology Services
931 372-3601     / Tennessee Tech University