Re: NAMD performance

From: Victor Kwan (vkwan8_at_uwo.ca)
Date: Thu Mar 05 2020 - 11:18:09 CST

Hi Stefano,

Since you already have a system in mind, you can compare the time it takes to perform a 10ps simulation with different setups.

> one or both gpu, number of cores
* With NAMD 2.13 comes a large improvement in dual gpu/single node performance and we observe almost linear scaling when going from 1 to 2 GPUs.
* 16core/GPU is sufficient, from our experience 6-8core/GPU is the lower limit.
* For GPU runs, hyperthreading should not increase affect performance.
> pemap/commap options
* check the output of nvidia-smi topo matrix - leaving cpu/gpu affinity as default should be fine.

On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 10:12 AM Stefano Guglielmo <stefano.guglielmo_at_unito.it<mailto:stefano.guglielmo_at_unito.it>> wrote:
Dear NAMD users,
I am using a workstation with an AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX 32-Core Processor, 128 GB RAM and two RTX 2080 Ti cards with NVlink; I am here to ask for suggestions on what could be the "best" options to run a single simulation on a 200K atom system with NAMD 2.13 (one or both gpu, number of cores, hyperthreading or not, pemap/commap options...)

Thanks in advance for your time
Stefano

--
Stefano GUGLIELMO PhD
Assistant Professor of Medicinal Chemistry

[https://ipmcdn.avast.com/images/icons/icon-envelope-tick-round-orange-animated-no-repeat-v1.gif]<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail> Mail priva di virus. www.avast.com<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail>