Flat-bottom harmonic position restraints using colvars

From: Daipayan Sarkar (sdaipayan_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Feb 05 2020 - 12:12:29 CST

Hello,

My objective is to apply flat-bottom harmonic position restraints to the
C-alpha (CA) atoms. To achieve this, I am using the colvars harmonicWalls.
I have a question regarding setting the values of lower and upperWalls,
with respect to the reference CA positions.

Typically, a regular harmonic position restraint is applied, where a
reference PDB is provided as an input to the parameter consref. My
question, is can we pass a reference pdb to colvars and set the upper and
lower bounds with respect to the selection?

Following is my colvar definition. Any help is greatly appreciated.

#########################
colvars on
colvarsTrajFrequency 100

cv config "
colvar {
    name calpha
    group1 {
    psfSegID AP1
    atomNameResidueRange CA 1-76
    }
}
"

cv config "
harmonicWalls {
    name fb_restraint
    colvars calpha
    lowerWalls * #add_lower_bound_from_ref_CA_position*
    upperWalls *#add_upper_bound_from_ref_CA_position*
    lowerWallConstant 10.0
    upperWallConstant 10.0
}
"