Re: Colvars alternative recommendations

From: Giacomo Fiorin (giacomo.fiorin_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Apr 30 2018 - 10:34:58 CDT

On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 10:50 AM, Zachary Ulissi <zulissi_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi - currently we have ~250 atoms in the colvar, though considering just
> some portion of each molecule we can push that down. The speed is
> especially apparent right now because we're doing implicit solvent, but it
> will be a smaller fraction when we do explicit and force call times go up.

Yes, with explicit solvent, 250 atoms for a collective variable that is
O(N) is not even worth parallelizing. You most likely won't notice the
difference.

> Yes, P is an even integer. We are using this as a softer metric for the
> size of a group of molecules than the outer limit (containing sphere). We
> also define/use this in 1 or 2 dimensions (so radius of gyration in a
> plane, or radius of gyration along a line, using the XY or Z components
> only, respectively). Yes, adding it as an option would be great!

P can be added easily: but as for selecting specific components, that's
best done in a separate class so that the checks for X, Y, and Z can be
skipped. Also, the variable would not be rotationally invariant: do you
plan on using rotational fitting?

> Thanks for the tip about PLUMED; I'll take a closer look.
>
> Regarding GPR/NN I was thinking something along these lines:
> https://aip.scitation.org/doi/abs/10.1063/1.5020733
> https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ct500438v
> https://aip.scitation.org/doi/pdf/10.1063/1.5018708
>
> GPR feels more reasonable to me than NN for guarantees, bounded nature,
> uncertainty propagation, incorporation of prior information on correlation
> structure, etc.

All those papers mention publicly available software implementations, so I
would check those first to minimize effort.