RE: pKa calculation with thermodynamic integration (TI)

From: Radak, Brian K (bradak_at_anl.gov)
Date: Tue May 09 2017 - 10:41:52 CDT

I will just second that the protocol described by Josh is generally the best one for NAMD, if not for pKa calculations in general. This is more or less the route we are using to implement constant pH, which utilizes the exact same transformation.

In general, the FEP and TI codes are _identical_ in the way that interactions are computed. The only differences are in the on-the-fly analysis. If you want to join the current century and use a multi-state reweighting technique, then, in my opinion, the TI output is actually a better bet. The exception to this is the ParseFEP plugin for VMD, which has a lot of clever tools and simplifies the analysis for newcomers.

Some useful new features in 2.12 that may not be widely known:
1) You can now turn on alchemical scaling for bonded terms using alchBondLambdaEnd and alchBondDecouple - these are essential if you want to compute rigorously correct relative free energies as opposed to relative free energy differences (i.e. check your thermodynamic cycle!)

2) The vdW switching schemes are now updated and correct some inconsistent behaviors from previous versions - it may not be possible to compare exactly with older versions of the code, although I doubt the differences are visible within statistical error.

3) There are also a number of new psfgen features that may help in constructing your alchemical system. Namely that you can now alter the bfactor columns and velocities from the Tcl interface (use the new "psfset" command). This may only be in the latest CVS at this point.

4) I have a ready made library of "alchemical patches" for use with the C36 protein force field that I'd be happy to share, although I can't guarantee all of the new dummy atom parameters at this point and they might not exactly fit your needs. Contact me off list if this is something you are interested in.

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Radak
Postdoctoral Appointee