Re: Colvar distance xy to restrain ions

From: Jérôme Hénin (jerome.henin_at_ibpc.fr)
Date: Thu Jan 12 2017 - 04:09:12 CST

Hi Azadeh,

To prevent ions from entering a cylinder, you'll need a lower rather than
upperBoundary. And yes, that will require one colvar per ion. If you use a
moderate number of atoms to define each variable, this should still be
efficient, especially if you run on a multicore machine with an SMP-enabled
build of NAMD, in which case calculation of the colvars will be distributed
across cores.

You can check that it is the case by looking for the following line in the
output:
colvars: SMP parallelism is available.

Best,
Jerome