Re: The use of NPT or NVT ensemble to observe dynamical parameters

From: Ana Celia Vila Verde (acavilaverde_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Jan 02 2017 - 04:13:20 CST

To simulate dynamical observables you want to have an ensemble that
introduces minimal external effects to the dynamics: no barostat and
ideally no thermostat. So, preferably NVE or if anything an NVT with
the weakest thermostat you can get away with (possibly even weaker than
what you have tried below).

TIP3P is known to yield much faster dynamics than the experimentally
determined values. This is typically a plus, because you get more
sampling from the same simulated nanoseconds than what you'd get with a
water model that had a D closer to the experiment. I have not read the
literature that you mentioned, about tuning the friction parameter to
get the D that matches experiments, so I don't know how sound this
approach is. If you're not convinced by the arguments in those papers,
I'd recommend either changing to a water model that has dynamics closer
to experiment (if you're interested in dynamics with characteristic
timescales <5 ps), or keeping TIP3P with a weak thermostat and then just
acknowledging the fact that it yields dynamics about twice as fast as
experiment when you discuss your results.

I hope it helps. Best,

Ana