Re: colvars: Did the orthogonality requirements of colvars change in ABF?

From: Jérôme Hénin (jerome.henin_at_ibpc.fr)
Date: Tue Oct 17 2017 - 08:23:44 CDT

I think this is the explanation. subtractAppliedForce does not entirely
recover the old behavior, as the forces are subtracted at the colvar level
and not at the atom level. In your case, subtractAppliedForce should not
make a difference if you have only one active bias.

I would caution you against trusting the results though: the calculation is
still formally not correct in the case you describe. It may seem correct
due to cancellation of errors, because it is incorrect in two different
ways at the same time.

If it is indeed quantitatively correct, then there is something at play
that I don't understand yet.

Best,
Jerome