Re: Regular vs US sampling runs.

From: jeevan gc (gcjeevanbdr_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Sep 01 2017 - 11:32:27 CDT

Dr. Fiorin,

Thank you for your response.

There are 33 atoms in one group and 5888 atoms in another group.

I chose heavy atoms for the center of mass of the membrane. I am thinking
of selecting few atoms from each lipid such as P, N, O etc. in order to
reduce the number of atoms in group.

Thank you.

Jeevan

On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 7:34 PM, Giacomo Fiorin <giacomo.fiorin_at_gmail.com>
wrote:

> For 64 POPC molecules, you're talking about the center of mass of 3,300
> atoms. Think about whether you can simplify that.
>
> But in any case, centers of mass are computed in parallel (and used as
> such by Colvars starting in NAMD 2.12) and a few thousand atoms shouldn't
> be too much of a problem.
>
> The Colvars output should tell you the size of each group of atoms. Can
> you report those numbers?
>
> Giacomo
>
> On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 9:13 PM, jeevan gc <gcjeevanbdr_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thank you Josh for quick and very informative response.
>>
>> The system consists of a short helix and membrane (64 phospholipids). The
>> reaction coordinate is defined as the center of mass between them. Both
>> reference files are .pdb file with heavy atoms assigned occupancy of 1. I
>> want to calculate the free energy of translocation across the bilayer.
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Jeevan
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 4:56 PM, Vermaas, Joshua <Joshua.Vermaas_at_nrel.gov
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> No. You probably have a colvar that is asking for waay too many atoms.
>>> See
>>> http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/namd/2.12/ug/node56.html#SEC