Re: Can large number of atoms define in colvariables reduce the computational speed in adaptive biased force (ABF) simulation via lowering the GPU utility?

From: sunyeping (sunyeping_at_aliyun.com)
Date: Thu Apr 27 2017 - 00:34:49 CDT

Dear Giacomo,
Thank you for your reponse. Sorry that I didn't make my question clearer. Actually the protein I simulate contains five chains (Chain A, B, C, D and E). Chain A,  B and C form one subunit (subunit I) , and chain D and E form the other subunit ( subunit2). The two subunits bind to each other as a whole. If I just select one atom from the two subunits, for example, I select one atom in chain A and select another atom in chain D, and simulate the distance between them with ABF, I guess chain A may seperate from chain B and C, or chain D may seperate from chain E during the simulation, which can may the problem unneccessarily complicated. So what is the proper way to define the atom groups in the colvar for the distance between the two subunits if including all atoms of them is not neccessary?
The GPU utility is gotten by the command "nvidia-smi", if ABF does not depend on GPUs, then it may not be considered.
Best regards.
Yeping ------------------------------------------------------------------From:Giacomo Fiorin <giacomo.fiorin_at_gmail.com>Time:2017 Apr 27 (Thu) 02:34To:namd-l <namd-l_at_ks.uiuc.edu>; 孙业平 <sunyeping_at_aliyun.com>Subject:Re: namd-l: Can large number of atoms define in colvariables reduce the computational speed in adaptive biased force (ABF) simulation via lowering the GPU utility?
Hi Yeping, if the purpose is to define the centers of mass of two protein domains, you don't really need to include all the atoms.  You can check for yourself that those centers (and the distance between them) don't change much if you select 1 out of 10 atoms, or e.g. the C-alphas.

Also, the Colvars version bundled with 2.12 includes several optimizations, including parallelized calculation of centers of mass.

Lastly, it is very hard to understand what you mean by "GPU utility".  All I can say is that the Colvars code runs entirely on the CPU, so it can benefit from GPU usage only indirectly.  Out of all the features of NAMD, only the most widely used are ported to the GPU.

Giacomo