Re: question about Steered Molecular Dynamics

From: Jérôme Hénin (jerome.henin_at_ibpc.fr)
Date: Wed Feb 15 2017 - 17:11:42 CST

Hi Oleksii,

You can perform SMD in a very flexible way if you define it as a set of
moving harmonic restraints on collective variables.
http://colvars.github.io/colvars-refman-namd/colvars-refman-namd.html#x1-720006.4.1

The details of which variable is most relevant depends on your system, but
they are likely to be distances or distance vectors between atoms and fixed
positions in space (specified as dummy atoms with the dummyAtom keyword).
http://colvars.github.io/colvars-refman-namd/colvars-refman-namd.html#x1-200005.1.1

Here is a first idea of what the colvars input might look like:

colvar {
  name vec1
  outputAppliedForce
  distanceVec {
    group1 { dummyAtom (42, 42, 42) } # reference position in space (e.g.
initial position)
    group2 { atomNumbers 1 2 3 } # atoms to pull in molecule 1
  }
}

colvar {
  name vec2
  outputAppliedForce
  distanceVec {
    group1 { dummyAtom (42, 42, 42) } # reference position in space (e.g.
initial position)
    group2 { atomNumbers 4 5 6 } # atoms to pull in molecule 2
  }
}

harmonic {
  colvars vec1 vec2
  forceConstant 42
  centers (0, 0, 0) (0, 0, 0) # initial values of the vector distance
  targetCenters (10, 10, 10) (10, 10, 10) # final values
  targetNumSteps 1000000 # number of timesteps for the pulling process (can
be longer than one single NAMD run)
  outputAccumulatedWork
}

Best,