Re: ABF with alpha colvar?

From: Giacomo Fiorin (giacomo.fiorin_at_gmail.com)
Date: Sat Jan 21 2017 - 15:21:21 CST

You cannot use it with straight ABF, because its inverse gradients
(necessary to measure a colvar's system force) are not implemented.

You can use it with any other biasing method implemented in Colvars
(metadynamics, SMD, umbrella sampling, linear restraints, etc) including
extended-system ABF, where the system force is approximated through the
introduction of a virtual particle, whose force can be measured.

For more details, you can access the updated manual at:
https://github.com/colvars/colvars
or:
https://colvars.github.io

Giacomo

On Sat, Jan 21, 2017 at 12:30 PM, Douglas Houston <
dhouston_at_staffmail.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can the colvars variable 'alpha' be used in conjunction with ABF? I'm
> asking because it's not in the list here:
>
> http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/current/ug/node234.html#
> SECTION001651100000000000000
>
> But it looks like people are using it:
>
> http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/namd/mailing_list/namd-l.
> 2010-2011/3976.html
>
> Cheers,
> Doug

Giacomo Fiorin
Associate Professor of Research
Institute for Computational Molecular Science (ICMS)
College of Science and Technology, Temple University
1925 North 12th Street (035-07), Room 704D
Philadelphia, PA 19122-1801
Phone: +1-215-204-4213
Scholar: http://goo.gl/Q3TBQU
Personal: http://giacomofiorin.github.io/
Lab page: https://icms.cst.temple.edu/members.html
*"As computer programmers we have a responsibility to make sure that we run
the computers instead of the computers running us."*  - Steve Oualline