Re: QM-MM ORCA Charm++ error Could not find QM output file

From: Marcelo C. R. Melo (melomcr_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jan 17 2017 - 15:58:58 CST

Sure, you could minimize, equilibrate (with and/or without constraints) and
run you system for some time before selecting a conformation to be used in
the TCL script, and then initiating QM/MM runs. There is nothing in the
method or code that would prevent you from doing that.
Some discussion could ensue regarding the difference in force fields used
for minimizing/equilibrating and then running the simulations, so you
should check the literature for your particular case for that.

Best,
Marcelo

---
Marcelo Cardoso dos Reis Melo
PhD Candidate
Luthey-Schulten Group
crdsdsr2_at_illinois.edu
+1 (217) 244-5983
On 17 January 2017 at 12:10, Francesco Pietra <chiendarret_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Marcelo:
>
> Adding "ENGRAD"  let the simulation running. It was running on 6 cores,
> therefore much too slow for this system. Killed while minimization was
> slowly moving atoms.
>
> Probably obvious; can minimization be run separately, submitting to
> "prepare.qm.region.tlc" minimized (perhaps also "heated") files?
>
> Nonetheless I would be happy to have the simulation running with MOPAC
> too; with DFT, especially with BP86, one does not not where he is as to the
> spin state.
>
> Thanks a lot
>
> francesco pietra
>
> On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 11:17 PM, Marcelo C. R. Melo <melomcr_at_gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> In the case of ORCA, you should always have the keyword "ENGRAD" in your
>> qmConfigLine. This tells ORCA to write a file ending in "engrad" where the
>> gradient is written.
>>
>> That should solve your issue.
>>
>> Marcelo
>>
>> ---
>> Marcelo Cardoso dos Reis Melo
>> PhD Candidate
>> Luthey-Schulten Group
>> University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
>> crdsdsr2_at_illinois.edu
>> +1 (217) 244-5983 <(217)%20244-5983>
>>
>> On 16 January 2017 at 01:55, Francesco Pietra <chiendarret_at_gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello:
>>>
>>> This mail in parallel to previous mail about the same system and same
>>> issue with QM-MM MOPAC.
>>>
>>> System of total spin 7 (total six unpaired electrons on two open shell
>>> molecules)
>>>
>>> qmConfigLine    "! UKS BP86 def2-TZVP def2-TZVP/J KDIIS SOSCF"
>>> qmConfigLine    "%%output PrintLevel Mini Print\[ P_Mulliken \] 1
>>> Print\[P_AtCharges_M\] 1 end"
>>> # Multiplicity of the QM region. This is needed for propper
>>> # construction of ORCA's input file.
>>> qmMult          "1 7"
>>> The gmConfigLine is the best for transition metals in my experience with
>>> orca)
>>>
>>> Folder /0 contains
>>> qmmm_0.input
>>> qmmm_0.input.gbw