Re: Parameters for determining run time

From: Vermaas, Joshua (Joshua.Vermaas_at_nrel.gov)
Date: Mon Nov 07 2016 - 18:43:03 CST

Hi Oscar,

The timestep for minimally restrained atomistic simulations is limited to 2fs, since otherwise the integrator becomes unstable. This is related to the fastest unrestrained degree of freedom in the simulation. If you restrain the bond-lengths to hydrogen, the fastest degree of freedom becomes the heavy-atom bond vibrations, whose period means 2fs is about the maximum. In terms of the dcdfreq, it depends on how much disk space you have, and what you are trying to capture. If you were trying to study water dynamics, I can totally see a small dcdfreq being useful. However, for large-scale interactions, larger dcd frequencies are ok, since your correlation time for those interactions is going to be much longer than the dcd frequency. Personally, I set dcdfreq to save every 2-20ps (1000-10000 steps), depending on how long I intend the simulation to take and what I expect to be important for analysis.

-Josh