Re: adaptive biasing force with RMSD colvar

From: Jérôme Hénin (jerome.henin_at_ibpc.fr)
Date: Sun Mar 20 2016 - 05:49:54 CDT

Dear Haleh,

Your approach has several issues. First, free energy of conformational
change in proteins is typically very difficult to calculate, and ABF is far
from being a magic bullet in that respect. It will only succeed if applied
carefully by someone who knows the approach well. Second, RMSD is rarely
good enough as a coordinate to achieve that. You may be able to drive the
transformation, but it is probably irreversible (you are stuck in the
nonequilibrium regime of ABF).

My advice is:
1) get a better understanding of ABF and the difficulties that can occur
(see Comer et al JCTC 2015).
2) have a look at other methods, either path-based (string) or using
confinement (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3569517/)
3) if ABF seems like the best choice, look for other coordinates that may
describe the transition better than RMSD

Jerome