Re: Problems with wrapAll

From: MEHRAN MB (mb.mehran1_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jul 22 2016 - 11:35:12 CDT

Hi Sonu,

Basically, here are what Josh suggested:
* There are also female users on this forum so it would better to use terms
like "Dear Sir or Madam".
* you need to increase the cutoffs length which seems it was a typo and you
have already fixed that issue in your second email .CONF files.
* you cannot (as long as I know) have simulation box smaller than your
molecule size. The simulation box, at least, should be equal to [
molecule_size + cuttoff length ]. This is the minimum size of the
simulation box that you have to start with. Then, if you want to shrink
your molecule, one way to do this is to do steering molecular dynamic using
Collective Variable (colvar ) in NAMD. You can define radius of gyration as
a variable and use harmonic restraint with moving centre to force your
molecule to have target smaller radius of gyration. I have not done this
before but it should be straight forward if you read Collective variable
section in NAMD user guide. http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/namd/2.10/ug/

here is what you should probably do:

add following two lines in your .CONF file

*colvars oncolvarsConfig $name.in <http://name.in>*

which $name is name of collective variable configuration file.
then in that file you should have something like

*colvar { name Rg # arbitrary name I chose Rg *
*gyration {*

* atoms {*

* "select your atom here. look at
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/namd/2.10/ug/node56.html#SECTION000133100000000000000
<http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/namd/2.10/ug/node56.html#SECTION000133100000000000000>*

* } }}*

*# look at
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/namd/2.10/ug/node58.html#SECTION000135300000000000000
<http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/namd/2.10/ug/node58.html#SECTION000135300000000000000>*

*harmonic { colvars Rg centers Ri # Ri your initial radius of
gyration forceConstant 1.0 targetCenters Rf # target radius of
gyration targetNumSteps Ns # Number of steps for steering}*

hope it helps,

kind regards,
Mehran