Re: water box and padding

From: Jeff Comer (jeffcomer_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon May 02 2016 - 11:10:45 CDT

Hi,

Cutting out pieces of the simulation system can be useful for
improving efficiency, but whether it affects the results really
depends on the problem that you are interested in. For example,
protein subunits irrelevant to the problem at hand are often
truncated. You have to justify this carefully in your manuscripts.

I usually use 8–9 Å or 9–11 Å cutoffs. The improvement in performance
can be as much as 100% versus a 10–12 Å cutoff. Doing this can
sometimes be questioned by reviewers, so I've always been careful to
show that I've validated the choice of cutoff. For example, see the SI
of http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acsnano.5b03592 or Figure 1 of
http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/ct400925s

Jeff

Jeffrey Comer, PhD
Assistant Professor
Institute of Computational Comparative Medicine
Nanotechnology Innovation Center of Kansas State
Kansas State University
Office: P-213 Mosier Hall
Phone: 785-532-6311
Website: http://jeffcomer.us