Re: Restraining angle between bond vector and coordinate vector

From: Seth Axen (seth.axen_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Mar 25 2015 - 19:01:40 CDT

Hi Jeff and Jerome,

Thank you both for your prompt and very helpful replies! Jeff, your code
did almost exactly what I wanted to do, but I'm currently getting an error
when I try to run NAMD with it.

The code:
#Collective variables config file

colvarsTrajFrequency 1

colvar {
   name theta

   outputValue
   outputAppliedForce

   angle {
      group1 {
         atomNumbers 1120
         centerReference on
         refPositionsGroup { atomNumbers 1117 }
         refPositions (0,0,0)
      }
      group2 {
         atomNumbers 1117
         centerReference on
         refPositions (0,0,0)
      }
      group3 {
         dummyAtom (0,1,0)
      }
   }
}

harmonic {
   colvars theta
   centers 132.5
   forceConstant 10
}

The error:
ERROR: Constraint failure in RATTLE algorithm for atom 1120!

ERROR: Constraint failure; simulation has become unstable.

ERROR: Exiting prematurely; see error messages above.

There are no other errors in the log. I found that if I decreased the force
constant and the centers, I no longer received this error. The starting
theta value is 28.5, so I assume this is because the resulting force is
insanely large. However, I do need to restrain the angle at 132.5. What's
the proper way to handle this? Should I slowly increase centers from 28.5
to 132.5, and if so, how could I do that at set intervals?

Seth