Re: how does NAMD calculate intramolecular electrostatic interactions between Drude pairs?

From: Ana Celia Vila Verde (acavilaverde_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Nov 23 2015 - 09:27:00 CST

Hi everyone,

I've actually found the answer to my original question, so I post it now
in the hope that it will be helpful to others.

Consider the artificial ion OS1-S-OS2, (i.e., half a sulfate to make
things easier). S is the sulfate, OS1 and OS2 are the oxygens; the
oxygens are polarizable but S is not.

Since S is not polarizable, it has only one associated, fixed, charge,
called core charge. In contrast, you can think of the total charge in
each oxygen as the sum of three charges: a core charge, qi, equal to the
nominal partial charge on that atom, and the Drude charges, qD and -qD,
associated with the electroneutral oscillators.

In sulfate, 1-2 and 1-3 electrostatic interactions between core charges
are not calculated. Likewise, electrostatic 1-2 or 1-3 interactions
between the electroneutral oscillators and core charges are also not
calculated. However, electrostatic 1-3 interactions between two
electroneutral oscillators associated with OS1 and OS2 are calculated
according to a Thole screening function. More information in Harder,
E.; Anisimov, V. M.; Whitfield, T.; MacKerell, A. D. & Roux, B.
Understanding the Dielectric Properties of Liquid Amides from a
Polarizable Force Field J. Phys. Chem. B, 2008, 112, 3509-3521

Best,

Ana