RE: How to maintain Density constant?

From: Morgan, Brittany (Brittany.Morgan_at_umassmed.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 06 2014 - 12:26:02 CST

It sounds like you have other (small) molecules besides water and ions in your system. Did you equilibrate your water/solute mix by itself (in NVT) before adding the protein to see if the pressure is around 1 atm at that density and volume? Physically, depending on how crowded the environment is, your system might be experiencing high van der waals repulsion which can cause high pressure (in NVT) or force it to expand (in NPT). If you want to enforce a certain density, you may have to increase the pressure to match what it was initially.

Brittany